If you’ve have been searching for how to share data on MTN with friends and families, then here is the right article for you!
With MTN Data Share, subscribers can now transfer or share their data in Megabytes (MB) and Gigabytes (GB) easily using just one simple USSD code. This service is not data gifting neither is it data renewal. This one is basically for those who have existing data on their MTN SIM and wants to share it with other people. Works just like MTN airtime share which allows you to share your airtime as well.
Now, let’s see the steps involved if you want to start doing Father Christmas with your data.
Here are four ways to transfer data on MTN easily:
Method 1: Share Data with MTN Data Gifting
MTN Data gifting is back and better, with MTN Data gifting service, you can send data bundle to your other smartphones, modems and tablets. With this service, you will pay for the Data bundle on their behalf.
Here is how to use MTN Data Gifting service in four steps;
- Simply dial *123*3#, then reply with 7.
- After doing that, you’ll get a list of options to choose from. You can transfer data from your data balance, buy for a friend, or even request data from a friend.
- Kindly choose the option you wish to go for.
- Enter the friend’s MTN number, then select the amount of data you would like to share with the friend.
TAKE NOTE: YOU CAN ONLY SHARE DATA TWICE DAILY, THE MAXIMUM DATA YOU CAN SHARE DAILY IS 200MB.
Method 2: Data Share (for postpaid subscribers)
Here is how MTN Data Share works… follow the steps below.
Activate an applicable data plan from the table below.
Dial *131*2*1# or text REG to 131; to register for MTN Data Share, you will receive a unique security PIN.
You are required to change the system generated PIN to a new PIN they can easily remember by dialling *131*2*5# or by texting Change OLD PIN NEW PIN NEW PIN to 131. E.g Change 0000 1234 to 13:1. Where 0000 is old PIN and 1234 is your new PIN.
After changing the PIN, you will need to add beneficiaries to your MTN shared Data Bundle account via USSD menu *131*2*3# or by texting Add to 131. You can add up to 5 beneficiaries.
Once you have added beneficiaries, you (the sponsor) will be able to share your available data bundle among the added beneficiaries by sending the keyword Share to 131 or simply dial USSD code *131*2*4#
MTN Data Share Only Applies To The Plans Listed Below
If you have decided to use the MTN data share service, please bear in mind that you can only use the data plans listed below.
Total Bundle (Data Plan + Data Delight) | Amount | Bundle Code | Validity
- 250MB + 125MB = 375MB | N1,300 | *109# | 30 Days
- 500MB + 250MB = 750MB | N2,000 | *110# | 30 Days
- 1GB + 500MB = 1.5GB | N3,500 | *111# | 30 Days
- 3GB + 1.5GB = 4.5GB | N6,500 | *129# | 30 Days
- 5GB + 2.5GB = 7.5GB | N8,000 | *101# | 30 Days
NOTE: WORKS FOR POSTPAID SUBSCRIBERS ONLY!
Method 3: MTN SME Data Share
MTN SME Data Share is a prepaid service that allows business owners to buy data bundles and share with their staff. This service is specifically designed for growing businesses offering them the ability to centrally manage internet usage per staff across their business.
To use this service, you are required to first migrate to the MTN SME Plus tariff plan by texting 460 to 131.
How to share data with a beneficiary
You can share data with any beneficiary by sending SMS below to 131 as shown in the table below (or dial *461# and follow the prompt):
|SMS Format||Data Size|
|SMEA <PhoneNumber> 250 <PIN> to 131||250MB|
|SMEB <PhoneNumber> 500 <PIN> to 131||500MB|
|SMEC <PhoneNumber> 1000 <PIN> to 131||1GB|
|SMED <PhoneNumber> 2000 <PIN> to 131||2GB|
|SMEE <PhoneNumber> 5000 <PIN> to 131||5GB|
NOTE: YOU CAN ONLY SHARE DATA IN MULTIPLES OF 250MB, 500MB, 1GB, 2GB OR 5GB. SHARING DATA IN MULTIPLES OF ANY OTHER DATA SIZES IS NOT ALLOWED.
For example to share 250MB of data with beneficiary using phone number 08031234567 and MTN PIN ‘1234’, then the following is sent as SMS to 131 (or Dial *461# and follow the prompt);
- SMEA 08031234567 250 1234 = Correct Format!
- SMEA 08031234567 200 1234 = Wrong Format
- SMEB 08031234567 200 1234 = Wrong Format
- SMESHARE 08031234567 200 1234 = Wrong Format
Method 4: Share MTN Data via Hotspot
Lastly, there is one more option to share MTN data with friends but this doesn’t have anything to do with USSD code or SMS like the previous methods.READ: Best & Cheapest Data Plans For January 2020 | Airtel, Glo, MTN, 9mobile, Ntel etc
It’s simple, kindly follow the steps below to create a wireless connection with your smartphone.
Steps for Creating a Mobile Hotspot
- Open the smartphone Settings menu.
- Tap “More” in the “Wireless & networks” section.
- Tap the “Hotspot and Tethering” menu.
- Tap the “Mobile Hotspot” option to change your settings accordingly.
- Rename Mobile Hotspot and password.
- Check the “Mobile hotspot” box to enable the hotspot.
- Connect to the hotspot on another device.
Now that you know how to transfer data on MTN, why not explore the additional resource on other networks in Nigeria below;
Oh, one last thing… If the above transfer code worked for you, then don’t forget to leave a comment via the comment box to help this article stay relevant and helpful.
Tech Savvy and Enthusiast, Android Lover … Can help on Tech-related issue because is a passion to me