Welcome to April, Get Ready for BM Cellphones Blocked
Welcome to April. It is time to count the days of the enactment of the International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) rule on 18 April 2020 to combat the circulation of BM cell phones.
The Director General of Resources and Equipment of Post and Information Technology (SDPPI) of the Ministry of Communication and Information Ismail said that so far there has been no change related to the government’s efforts to overcome the problem of illegal cellphones in Indonesia.
“So far there has been no decision of the Minister (Johnny G Plate) to change the schedule,” Ismail said in his short message when contacted on Thursday (2/4/2020).
When asked about the progress of the socialization of the IMEI number validation of BM cell phones, where previously the Ministry of Communication and Information and cellular operators conducted a trial to block the illegal device and was declared successful.
“Just keep flowing,” replied Ismail curtly.
Previously, the government and cellular operators had also established a whitelist scheme to block BM cell phones after the policy took effect later. This scheme was chosen as a preventive measure in injecting dead illegal mobile phones.
So, cellphones whose IMEI is not registered in the Ministry of Industry data base will be deactivated from cellular services from the start. Only legal devices that are not BMs can get signals to receive telecommunications services.
Meanwhile, BM cell phones that have been circulating at this time alias have not passed 18 April 2020, then the device is freed from blocking telecommunications services.
It is known, to suppress BM cell phones, there are three ministries involved, namely the Ministry of Communication and Information, the Ministry of Trade, and the Ministry of Industry involving the Directorate General of Customs and Mobile Operators.
Tech Savvy and Enthusiast, Android Lover … Can help on Tech-related issue because is a passion to me